Here we've also got a real life case-study from a girl called Dulcie, you can read about her experience of anaphylaxis and when she went to the hospital... Remember you are not the only child who has had an anaphylactic reaction, there are many children like you that also have been given Jext®
Dulcie was only 1 year old when her Mum discovered that she was allergic to nuts. Dulcie reacted badly to some peanut butter on toast. She didn’t even eat any, it just touched her lips and almost immediately, her eyes began to itch, her face swelled, and red, itchy bumps began to appear all over her body.
Dulcie had to go to hospital and it was confirmed that she did have a nut allergy. Dulcie now had to live with the threat that if she came into contact with nuts it could trigger anaphylaxis – an extreme allergic reaction which, untreated, could kill her. Dulcie went to see her doctor and she was prescribed an adrenaline auto-injector for her to have with her at all times just in case she had an allergic reaction. Dulcie’s relatives, teachers and carers were issued with an adrenaline auto-injector and taught how to use it in an emergency.
To begin with, her Mum was really worried and became very protective of her. Dulcie wasn’t allowed to eat at anyone else’s house or visit her family without her Mum being there to watch over her.
When Dulcie first started school, she was there a whole year before her Mum discovered that she was eating alone in the classroom, because the school was so scared that she might come into contact with nuts by eating with the other children. Dulcie had never complained because she thought that this was normal school-life.
Then there was the time Dulcie went to a birthday party and was the only child who couldn’t have a piece of birthday cake. She was very upset so the next time she went to a party her Mum gave her own ‘safe’ piece of cake to eat with everyone else.
Every day Dulcie has to be really careful about what she eats and where her food has come from just in case it contains nuts which could make her feel very unwell very quickly. Dulcie carries her adrenaline auto-injector with her at all times because it could one day save her life, she calls it her ‘emergency defence’.
With close monitoring, Dulcie has managed eight years without further exposure to nuts. And with her ‘emergency defence’ at the ready, she can still do most of the things any other nine year-old girl would do – she recently won two rosettes in a show-jumping competition, and just went on her first school trip away from home.
If, like Dulcie you have been prescribed an adrenaline auto-injector, make sure you carry it with you at all times. If you are worried about anaphylaxis or unsure what to do in an emergency speak to your parents or teacher and they will be able to help you. Remember you are not alone.